What's new

AUDA about to hand Ausregistry another 5 years?

snoopy

Top Contributor
I get the feeling registrants are going to get thrown under the bus here, so much for the talk of it would definitely go out to tender, sounds like AUDA may simply take the easiest route possible.

I think AUDA should be clarifying as soon as possible exactly what is going on here as I'm guessing we could be reading some dated board minutes in a month or so about how AUDA gave Ausregistry another contract with no chance of anyone else to compete for it.

http://www.domainer.com.au/auda-snippets-12th-november-2016/

The Board instructed the CEO to commence negotiations with AUS Registry for a 30 day period to secure a best in class deal. The terms of the agreement are to include:

•  5 year term

•  Suitable pricing structure that would require an economic analysis to be prepared

•  Performance-based KPIs

The Board agreed that if during the 30 day period, the negotiations with AUS Registry did not result in agreement that meets auDA's expectation then the Board would consider commencing a formal EOI process at the December Board meeting.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I wonder what the "independent" directors think about this outstanding gem of good corporate governance.

It's like they've dispained with any basic concept of consultation and transparency. Dare I mention accountability.

Time for government intervention.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Here's that bus you were talking about Snoopy - note the use of the word "exclusive".

"auDA enters exclusive negotiations with AusRegistry

The Board of auDA has unanimously resolved to enter into a period of exclusive negotiation with AusRegistry for the management of auDA’s registry operations beyond 2018."

https://www.auda.org.au/news/auda-enters-exclusive-negotiations-with-ausregistry/

I'd say it is pretty much over. Imagine the joy Ausregistry/Neustar will be feeling righting now knowing the the party they are "negotiating" with has no ability to walk away at all from them. Expect some meaningless price discount at the end of this or maybe not even that. AUDA is going to accept whatever is put in from of them because they clearly have no ability to carry out a tender process.

Shane

Top Contributor
Woul that mean the new board members voted for this?
It must have been. At the AGM it was said that they were still looking at some sort of selective tender. Now they're saying "The Board of auDA has unanimously resolved to enter into a period of exclusive negotiation with AusRegistry..."

So as I read it, using the definition of "unanimously", that means all current board members (including those recently elected) voted for this outcome.

Lemon

Top Contributor
my name is Tim Connell , auDA Demand Class Nominee, I hope you read my last email and visited my website. www.timconnell.com.au

On Monday we all got this email from auDA

" The auDA CEO would like to acknowledge receipt of a proposal from AusRegistry to continue as the registry operator of .au.

The Board of auDA has today resolved that the CEO evaluate this proposal and report back at the December meeting."

Short and sweet which just left me with questions and apparently I wasn't alone, now rumours, accusations and suggestions have been flying around and there really is only one reason for this........ lack of communication.

I do not consider "....and report back at the December meeting" very good communication.

Report what?
Its decided and approved?
Changes need to be made?
Approved with some minor clarification?
Its decided it will go to tender?

Is the report a "report" or a "decision"?

Here's is a good chance for Cameron to display transparency and communication.

My feeling is that it should go to tender, what do we have to lose?

AusRegistry: "Hey Joe we need to send that submission to auDA again, just pull out the last one and change date, thanks mate" , is that how it goes?

With a tender auDa gets the opportunity to see what else is available, if nobody tenders then fine, job done, and everyone can shut up till next tender.

If others bid then we may just get a win for everyone, auDA, registrars, resellers, domain owners........or not, but at least we tried.

One thing is for certain it isn't going to cost us any more.

For something with a huge $ value with a monopoly it seems only logical to search for the best outcome, to blindly go with the what has been rubber stamped before is not what I am expecting for the "all new auDA"

Tim Connell

A vote for me is a vote for your interests , just download my proxy form, sign it and email it to me to ensure your vote counts.

I hope it was decided prior to the AGM as I voted based on candidates statements and communications with me in the hope that it would be a vote for my interests.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I was told by the new auDA CEO the Registry would go out to to tender only 2 weeks ago. Something is wrong here and it stinks.

The auDA AGM also stated this! I think Ned may post something relevant on www.domainer.com.au in the next few days

Tim, I do hope you did NOT vote for this no tender scam and if you did not you post a public statement stating so and make auDA do another press release stating it was NOT unanimous or your name will be tarnished.

I am losing all faith in the "new auDA"..... It is now time for some more serious media, government, legal and member intervention to get involved I think to look into auDA, policies and decisions.

auDA Members can call for a special auDA meeting.. Now is the time for that.

If I was an auDA Director I would be checking my directors insurance policy very carefully.

I am also of the view a class action lawsuit against the additional .au extension ( and those who made such a decision) has grounds to start. 1.8 Million paying existing registrants have rights and a possible claim/ case the make.

auDA, the board and the new CEO have just lost some very serious credibility and support from many more!

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
"auDA is seeking a best-in-class operator’s arrangement focussed on an enhanced security and technical setting and a rigorous process is underway to test the value, accountability and performance impacts of these initiatives."

If you ever wanted to know the definition of bullsh@t, there it is.

Call an open tender you scum bags.

No competitive tender leaves auDA looking like it's doing deals behind closed doors.... Oh wait.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I was told recently by someone at auDA a recent review of the the current provider DID NOT meet world best practice security and technical tests.... so this is even more questionable to not go out to tender!

What is the new auDA CEO doing? He has just shot himself in the foot big time.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
please read the email in its entirety before making it personal.

tim

Please explain. I do hope you stood up against this and you want an "open" tender? Yes or No.

Do not be led stray or fooled.. as a newcomer to the board do not just go along with how things have been done or how someone else wants them done.

We voted you in for a voice and due to your "Trumpness". You may very well be the only one left there on the auDA board from the others in years to come if you stand up now.

Do not go down with the ship.

We have seen this auDA tactic before and it stinks

neddy

Top Contributor
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest we cut Tim some slack for his first ever Board Meeting. It's all a new game that he is going to have to learn very fast.

Tim is a first time Director, and he's up against some masters of boardroom politics. He's got a steep lurning curve ahead of him. The careful wording on that email was "wishy washy" and it didn't say that auDA was definitely going out to tender. I reckon they "wedged" him; and enjoyed doing it. Experienced cynics (myself included) know what their underlying meaning is.

My suggestion to Tim for any future discussions (that he disagrees with) is to make sure he asks the Company Secretary to record his position on the Minutes. The rest of the Board and CEO won't like that.

Let us also not forget that a unanimous resolution means that people like Erhan Karabardak and Simon Johnson also agreed to the proposal.

Imho, it's important for "us" not to implode after just one Board Meeting. auDA would get a good laugh out of that.

Ned

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Tim I wasn't talking about you but rest assured you have been compromised.
It's called peer pressure and it probably happened to Simon too.

You just got handled. You are putty for the master manipulators at work here.

Want the truth? Ask yourself what you would tell your clients.

No open tender is better because....

The people now getting close to you are seeking to influence you.

http://www.americanexperiment.org/article/peer-pressure/

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest we cut Tim some slack for his first ever Board Meeting. It's all a new game that he is going to have to learn very fast.

Tim is a first time Director, and he's up against some masters of boardroom politics. He's got a steep lurning curve ahead of him. The careful wording on that email was "wishy washy" and it didn't say that auDA was definitely going out to tender. I reckon they "wedged" him; and enjoyed doing it. Experienced cynics (myself included) know what their underlying meaning is.

My suggestion to Tim for any future discussions (that he disagrees with) is to make sure he asks the Company Secretary to record his position on the Minutes. The rest of the Board and CEO won't like that.

Let us also not forget that a unanimous resolution means that people like Erhan Karabardak and Simon Johnson also agreed to the proposal.

Imho, it's important for "us" not to implode after just one Board Meeting. auDA would get a good laugh out of that.

Ned

Many people here voted for Tim as he was for Open tender and against another .au extension.

Unfirtanely if Tim is not up to the task to stand up against others on the auDA board he should not have run and asked for our votes and he may wish to set down and let someone else jump in who will fight the fight needed 100%. These issues are too crucial to just go along with.

Sorry Tim to be frank on this. If you voted against the Registry going to tender it is important you say so on the record. If you went along with it you do need to explain why.

The next scam auDA will try with some board members to pull is for Ausregistry to also run the extra .au extension for their increased profits.

The registry contract and proposed additional direct .au extension go hand in hand... you may find Ausregistry INCLUDED IT in their proposal to auDA!

neddy

Top Contributor
Unfirtanely if Tim is not up to the task to stand up against others on the auDA board he should not have run and asked for our votes and he may wish to set down and let someone else jump in who will fight the fight needed 100%. These issues are too crucial to just go along with.
Fair suck of the sav Sean. First board meeting - and yes, it's apparent he got "handled" (as Bacon Farmer suggested). But he'll learn from that. Even if he opposed it, it would have been approved "almost unanimously".

If he stands down, all they will do is appoint one of their "selected candidates" to replace him. And then laugh at the domainer community.

I think Tim is genuine in what he has said, and I'm for one am prepared to give him the benefit of an "inauguration by fire". He'll do better next time.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo