What's new

.AU more like an NTLD than people would care to think

snoopy

Top Contributor
It seems .uk and .nz are behaving more like new tlds than cctlds. The initial growth has reversed to the point that the old extensions are now adding far more fresh registrations than the new extensions.

Similarities between ntlds and new cctld extensions,
  • Both are often short but are unknown.
  • New releases add more supply, but it is not the type of supply that business wants.
  • More choice for individuals (no ABN) but not the choice they want, they want .com.au or .com, not "alts".
  • The new releases are confusing being a non standard product in a now mature market.
Expecting .au to work is like expecting ntlds to work.

The obvious benefit is shortness but I don’t think this will drive some massive shift, just like the appeal of having “meaningful extensions” didn’t drive a shift for NTLDS. Shortness was not enough in New Zealand or the UK.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
It seems .uk and .nz are behaving more like new tlds than cctlds. The initial growth has reversed to the point that the old extensions are now adding far more fresh registrations than the new extensions.

Similarities between ntlds and new cctld extensions,
  • Both are often short but are unknown.
  • New releases add more supply, but it is not the type of supply that business wants.
  • More choice for individuals (no ABN) but not the choice they want, they want .com.au or .com, not "alts".
  • The new releases are confusing being a non standard product in a now mature market.
Expecting .au to work is like expecting ntlds to work.

The obvious benefit is shortness but I don’t think this will drive some massive shift, just like the appeal of having “meaningful extensions” didn’t drive a shift for NTLDS. Shortness was not enough in New Zealand or the UK.

Look at the companies and people who have been pushing for the additional competing .au extension. Ausregistry / Neustar.. Melbourne IT ( both where auDA Board members pushing for it for their own extra profits) They both try to sell many of the different failed NTLDS and as Snoopy pointed out in most cases their claims are wrong. I would go one step further and say to me they are false and misleading.

auDA and the auDA Board was fooled into it... or worse still it seems some form of collusion has taken place to not provide true facts about the proposed extra .au extension.

We now wee Ned stating they had their feedback "censored" ..

Very clearly auDA should be under far more serious investigation for the ways it has manipulated the information, surveys and propaganda .au material.

Is this for the ACCC, ASIC or who? It involves massive money, conflicts of interest and possible financial gain by numerous auDA staff and board members.

snoopy

Top Contributor
auDA and the auDA Board was fooled into it...

I think with this decisions were made with information that looks very shaky in today's light, e.g. who would have thought that .uk net growth would be down to 10-15 registrations per day within 3 years of launch?

I think a lot of people saw nTLD's as a genuine threat, if you listened to what Ausregistry were saying in 2014/15 you'd think traditional extensions were about to fall in a ditch and nTLD's were going to take over.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member