What's new

.au domain registrations

nt81

Top Contributor
Anyone else aware of needing to provide photo ID (licence / passport) in order to be able to register a .au domain?

This is new one for me! but it seems that Crazydomains have taken it upon themselves to start collecting this personal information.

As a crazy domains reseller, it would become extremely time consuming to wait for a client to send their photo ID, especially sensitive information like that just to register a domain when they are already providing an ABN! Plus I haven't heard of any other domain registrars asking for this.

I can't find anything about it on the AUDA website. Is this something that is just new / has anyone run into this with other registrars?

Cheers

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If it was any other registrar I would be surprised, but I've come to expect this sort of crazy (forgive the pun) nonsense from Crazy Domains.

I've not encountered this before, through any registrar (and I've used many).

findtim

Top Contributor
that's just STUPID, that's an unrealistic expectation, I registered a domain yesterday via crazy and that didn't happen to me.

WHY on earth would I want to ask a client to give drivers license ID to a company , surely the ABN is enough.

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Only time I've ever done something remotely close to that was when I requested a domain to be deleted.

Based on my experience, and the experiences of many others (including DNT members) I'd stay clear of Crazy Domains anyway.

Anyone else aware of needing to provide photo ID (licence / passport) in order to be able to register a .au domain?

This is new one for me! but it seems that Crazydomains have taken it upon themselves to start collecting this personal information.

As a crazy domains reseller, it would become extremely time consuming to wait for a client to send their photo ID, especially sensitive information like that just to register a domain when they are already providing an ABN! Plus I haven't heard of any other domain registrars asking for this.

I can't find anything about it on the AUDA website. Is this something that is just new / has anyone run into this with other registrars?

Cheers

There is no auDA requirement for photo ID, I suspect that they (Crazy Domains) are doing this to comply with the new ICANN RAA, which requires registrars to take steps to verify identity.

If you are concerned about providing those documents, I would use an alternate auDA Accredited Registrar. I would personally be uncomfortable providing this material considering Crazy Domains is a Reseller and is a Dubai based company.

findtim

Top Contributor
There is no auDA requirement for photo ID, I suspect that they (Crazy Domains) are doing this to comply with the new ICANN RAA, which requires registrars to take steps to verify identity.

If you are concerned about providing those documents, I would use an alternate auDA Accredited Registrar. I would personally be uncomfortable providing this material considering Crazy Domains is a Reseller and is a Dubai based company.

i agree and as everyone knows i have most of my names with them if they start to insist on this i will certainly be moving as its just not something i want to do for myself and i DO NOT want to be having to do it for clients.

nt81 are we talking crazyD or Syra ?

tim

jamesau

I have previously been asked to provide photo ID for a customer that bought through our TPP Wholesale account.

If I remember correctly the customer entered a credit card and billing address in Australia but the transaction IP was in the US (away on business).

I followed up the customer with the request, to which they naturally said 'you're kidding, no chance'. So I ended up cancelling the registration and putting it through using our own account funds.

I think it must be a verification at the credit card level as opposed to auDA level.

nt81

Top Contributor
Thanks guys.

Crazydomains are saying that this is a "random" check but it has hit us 3 times this week already.

Also, change of registrar really isn't on the cards as we have 1100 domains under our reseller account.

I have left a strongly worded support ticket.

Balls.

findtim

Top Contributor
i switched to paying via paypal with them as i was getting international transfer charges , now i'm back paying AUD.

bankwest said its their problem and crazy said it was bankwests problem, now with paypal NO problem

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member