What's new

.Au domain offer for $286,000 rejected!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Very interesting. Surpised Groupon are going for a 12 month expensive lawsuit rather than an AUDRP complaint...

WG2010

Archived Member
What a positive start groupon are making in Australia... *sarcasm*

Last edited:

zhenjie

Top Contributor
They are fine with clones. They know they are market leaders. What they don't like is Scoopon using the Groupon name to their advantage.

Earlier in the year, the site actually boasted that Groupon Australia was run by Scoopon. That is just bad faith from Scoopon's part.

Timmy

Banned
Registering Groupon Pty Ltd as a company is a bit of a smart ass act. But hey, each to their own...

Groupon should have sued months ago before Scoopon started earning millions and can now afford to fight.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
should have sold it for $286,000 if they really got that offer. It might have been an attempt to trick them but by Groupon into admitting guilt etc.. and then they dont pay.. yes its common in the dispute cases I have read.

"Groupon" is a stupid name anyway means nothing to me at all so it would take lots of marketing seo advertising for me to ever use a website called that

I have a weird idea about domain names.. Keep it generic words. Example if someone promotes jobs.com.au Im more likely to trust them and use them .. would you use doiuwdiuhd.com.au if they set up a recruitment/ job board website?

Would you use Realestate.com.au or uoywefouywyguwe.com.au
would you use News.com.au or grabapples.com.au ?

Yes Wotif.com does well but not as good as Hotels.com !

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
Idiots they should have taken the money...

How can they acquire a trademark for such a domain in the first place it is a joke.

James

Top Contributor
should have sold it for $286,000 if they really got that offer. It might have been an attempt to trick them but by Groupon into admitting guilt etc.. and then they dont pay.. yes its common in the dispute cases I have read.

"Groupon" is a stupid name anyway means nothing to me at all so it would take lots of marketing seo advertising for me to ever use a website called that

I have a weird idea about domain names.. Keep it generic words. Example if someone promotes jobs.com.au Im more likely to trust them and use them .. would you use doiuwdiuhd.com.au if they set up a recruitment/ job board website?

Would you use Realestate.com.au or uoywefouywyguwe.com.au
would you use News.com.au or grabapples.com.au ?

Yes Wotif.com does well but not as good as Hotels.com !

but you could agree Google and Twitter are stupid names too? Domains are not just about been generic they also can create a brand from a word.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
but you could agree Google and Twitter are stupid names too? Domains are not just about been generic they also can create a brand from a word.

yes they can but it costs a lot more money in advertising, pr etc etc. If you have the budget to make your chosen name big you can.. but if you dont have the budget the more generic the better

Google and Twitter did well due to their technology and ease of use also. Also stuffing millions and Billions of dollars into them helped a bit I think?

BTW I dont use Twitter I think its a total w a n k.. Do I really want to know what people are doing right this minute? get a life people and stop thinking everyone cares so much about you they need urgent tweets. Lets see if Twitter goes down the myspace path.. Huge and then explodes

Last edited:

zhenjie

Top Contributor
DomaninNames I'm not sure if you actually realise but Groupon had an offer of $6billion dollars for a take-over from Google, and they rejected it. Its THE market leader and fastest growing company in the WORLD. Nothing stupid about the name at all.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
DomaninNames I'm not sure if you actually realise but Groupon had an offer of $6billion dollars for a take-over from Google, and they rejected it. Its THE market leader and fastest growing company in the WORLD. Nothing stupid about the name at all.

maybe they need to take the $6 billion also then or they would be stupid!

Its not the name that made it for them.... The name is stupid but their business model and funds they managed to get to do it is not

They had a head start of $671M in funding...I would hope they would be worth something after that initial funding round

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I'm enjoying some of the comments on this old tc article, just keeps getting better and better:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/04/cu...oupon-gets-cloned-in-russia/#comment-71263048

wow this is a great find! Thanks Rhythm

I notice this comment

"It's been said several times but people don't seem to be getting it. Groupon is a "clone" of a Chinese web service that has been thriving in China for at least 4 years. Group buying (see the wikipedia entry on tuangou, mentioned above) is a huge business all across China, where people buy everything from cars to travel packages via online collective services.

Don't be so fast to think that everything innovative comes from the U.S."

Last edited:

Timmy

Banned
I don't think the name is stupid at all. Group Coupon = Groupon. Seems like a logical and clever decision especially for the $9 reg fee it would have cost.

The concept at its core is about effective loss-leading and one thing to note is that while all these group buying sites are doing great, the small businesses using them aren't all big winners.

It's a winning formula and they should have registered global TM's, but more relevant to this thread - its still hard to fathom that Scoopon hasn't acted in bad faith.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
maybe they need to take the $6 billion also then or they would be stupid!

Its not the name that made it for them.... The name is stupid but their business model and funds they managed to get to do it is not

They had a head start of $671M in funding...I would hope they would be worth something after that initial funding round

Why does your personal opinion about the 'stupid' name have anything to do with discussion then? I'm not sure why you even needed to bring that up because Groupon has already proven itself to be a successfully branded company that doesn't rely on its domain for 'seo marketing' to attract users. People like and are familiar with the name, hence the copy cat 'roupon' sites. All I'm hearing is you venting about how you find it a silly name and you don't like Twitter. You're not really adding anything to the discussion here :confused: . If all sites were to use generic names this would be one boring world.

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Why does your personal opinion about the 'stupid' name have anything to do with discussion then? I'm not sure why you even needed to bring that up because Groupon has already proven itself to be a successfully branded company that doesn't rely on its domain for 'seo marketing' to attract users. People like and are familiar with the name, hence the copy cat 'roupon' sites. All I'm hearing is you venting about how you find it a silly name and you don't like Twitter. You're not really adding anything to the discussion here :confused: . If all sites were to use generic names this would be one boring world.

Sorry but I dont have $600 million of others peoples money to risk not using a generic name. Im in the business to invest and make money and a profit from names and websites thats why I offered my opinion... and yes its just my opinion.. if you disagree with your opinion its a free world and no problems.

Sorry you didnt like me calling it a stupid name.. But I still think it is... Maybe you missed the points I tried to make.. that might be my fault for not explaining myself and what I based my opinion on.. sorry for that

zhenjie

Top Contributor
So you've entered the discussion talking about the SEO merit & 'sillyness' of the domain name which really has not relevance to this topic/case at hand. mmm ok, as you wish. I rather debate facts :)

DavidL

Top Contributor
So you've entered the discussion talking about the SEO merit & 'sillyness' of the domain name which really has not relevance to this topic/case at hand.

Although it's a very important topic. Generic vs Brandable domain.

Would Groupon be in any different a position if they'd have used a domain like 'Deals.com' or 'Coupons.com'. Or perhaps more significant is if a competitor used such a name, would that have given them the marketing edge to be the leader instead of Groupon. I reckon it might well have done.

However despite knowing this, we went and chose Netfleet.com.au for our website :confused:

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Although it's a very important topic. Generic vs Brandable domain.

Would Groupon be in any different a position if they'd have used a domain like 'Deals.com' or 'Coupons.com'. Or perhaps more significant is if a competitor used such a name, would that have given them the marketing edge to be the leader instead of Groupon. I reckon it might well have done.

However despite knowing this, we went and chose Netfleet.com.au for our website :confused:

Absolutely an important topic in its own rights. But not in this topic of discussion really. We're talking about Groupon trying to reacquire Groupon.com.au, not anything else. Deals and Coupon doesn't accurately describe group buying. The nearest relevant words would be dailydeals or groupbuying, both don't have the punch of a branded name.

Timmy

Banned
Deals and Coupon doesn't accurately describe group buying. The nearest relevant words would be dailydeals or groupbuying, both don't have the punch of a branded name.

Most, in fact nearly all sites including groupon make reference to "your voucher will be delivered to your email..."

Vouchers FTW.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads