What's new

ATO phone scam

findtim

Top Contributor
there is currently a scam that phones you with a recorded message saying " the ato is serving a warrant for your arrest because of tax fraud please contact immediately, this is your final warning"

i got 1 last month and ignored it but again today i got another so i though perhaps i should phone, only to be answered by an middle eastern sounding person and asking me if my name was Karen ************ !!!!!!!!!!, i said, do i sound like a Karen and he hung up.

Karen ********* is my client but my phone number is on her domain registration ( i have approval from client )

it would seem they are using who is to gather information for this scam? as its public knowledge the only thing is to be aware of it.

i contacted the ATO and they are aware of the scam.

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
auDA needs to update policy and ALLOW PRIVATE WHOIS.

By not allowing this auDA and the auDA Board are helping these scammers as the data they are using is directly off the .au whois.

@TIM @Simon Johnson @ ERHAN.. @auDA .... etc Please do something about this needed policy option change asap.

Most countries and extensions, registrars etc all allow whois privacy to stop this sort of scam.. once again auDA and the auDA Board have neglected their most basic role and gotten offtrack into other things.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
auDA needs to update policy and ALLOW PRIVATE WHOIS.

By not allowing this auDA and the auDA Board are helping these scammers as the data they are using is directly off the .au whois.

@TIM @Simon Johnson @ ERHAN.. @auDA .... etc Please do something about this needed policy option change asap.

Most countries and extensions, registrars etc all allow whois privacy to stop this sort of scam.. once again auDA and the auDA Board have neglected their most basic role and gotten offtrack into other things.

I got these scam calls also and I informed ATO Fraud team the details and the scammers Australian phone numbers.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo