What's new

Are You Kidding Me?? Just 2.5 CENTS a DAY!? - Rick Schwartz

DavidL

Top Contributor
interesting article and he's right.

tim

Absolutely SPOT ON! Article.

You think? I don't think registering a domain that is cashflow positive ('Are you kidding me, 2.5c a day!!') is setting the bar low. If it's that easy, show me where I can register 100,000 of them.

I also take issue with

When I hear this is an "SEO Friendly" or "Keyword Rich" or any of that other BOGUS terms to describe a domain name, let me give you the translation. WORTHLESS

Anyone who has dabbled with development will know that's not true

I do agree that there are thousands of people out there registering worthless names but that's hardly news. And I don't know what the point of the article is - doesn't give any practical advice or wisdom.

I just don't get the point of the article....

James

Top Contributor
I think the article is designed to sell people his high priced domains which are $35,000+

But I do agree with some points in it, I have made some mistakes buying trash over the last 8 years, but then you buy 1 or 2 which you make the money back on 50 its worth it.

findtim

Top Contributor
cashflow positive and low break even points are what i work on, now that might be for a $150 domain or a $10k domain but the reasoning is valid for both.

i think the point is there are people out there with domains that are NOT earning 2.5cents a day and they are throwing $35k out the window each year.

tim

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I don't think registering a domain that is cashflow positive ('Are you kidding me, 2.5c a day!!') is setting the bar low. If it's that easy, show me where I can register 100,000 of them.
Agreed.

Anyone who has dabbled with development will know that's not true
Agreed. I've made a hell of a lot more from low cost development on mediocre domains than parking revenues on better domains... and this will always be the case.

Parked, high capex domains are high risk because their ROE is terrible.

I do agree that there are thousands of people out there registering worthless names but that's hardly news.
Agreed, every industry has people that have a go and inevitably fail. It's just the low barriers to entry of domains, brings a lot of inexperienced money into the market.

i think the point is there are people out there with domains that are NOT earning 2.5cents a day and they are throwing $35k out the window each year.
Rick talks like these guys stick to these strategies for years and years... no one is that stupid, everyone works it out in the due course of time that they messed up and change their strategy or exit the industry.

I bet Rick himself has been through some variation of this process.

Inevitable bad business models go out of business because they lose more than they make... domaining is no different.

findtim

Top Contributor

funny, he slags pigeons and then tries to sell them, i've been to a load of seminars in the past few years and i do not think i have heard the word .mobi mentioned positively and just this week at smx the conversation was ONLY about choosing to either do responsive design or a m. subdomain

his comment
If these SEO and keyword guys can't do anything with .mobi, why would anyone believe they can do it with 1000 .whatevers? That has always been my big question?? Cuz according to them, the extension does not matter. The keyword does.

does make a good aguement for the future extensions

tim

Search

.mobi was dead from the beginning because it doesn't even mean anything.

The new gTLDs are an unknown quantity for now. Could be that Google decides to consider them as authority domains...

snoopy

Top Contributor
.mobi was dead from the beginning because it doesn't even mean anything.

The new gTLDs are an unknown quantity for now. Could be that Google decides to consider them as authority domains...

I don't think Google has any say in it really. People have simply not heard of these domains, the people who register them will be domainers, people protecting brands, spammers and small numbers of the general public with no clue, the same types of people who might have used a .biz or .info, that doesn't make for a good mix. Ever single new tld is the past has been a flop, nothing will ever change with that, it is a bit like waiting for the next version of the Zune.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo