1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Are .mobi domain names worthwhile?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by neddy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Does anyone have any opinions on the value of acquiring .mobi names? Not particularly as a stand alone option, but as an adjunct to existing domain names.

Are there any good links someone can point me to please?

Many thanks, Ned

2. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Don't know much about them tbh. I regged a few but have since let them drop.

If Soj doesn't mind me posting to another domain forum - http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/ has a lot of info.

3. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

I also had some .mobi names , but i let them drop

It seems they still be a good marketing name ? due to the fact the net is getting more and more mobile these days , but i would suggest more for marketing than any other reason

Most people seem very down on this extension , which could mean there are good keywords still up for sale cheap.

It seems because any .extension can be used as a mobile extension the original idea behind it is now redundent ?

and then there is the whole .tel situation as well

4. DomainMarketPlace

DomainMarketPlace Membership: Community

i had some but i dropped them and only kept a handful... they expire next month and i'm planning on dropping them. .mobi has some big backers but i don't see the point anymore, smart phones like the iphone have essentially removed the need for a mobile device specific tld

oh and i've never once used a .mobi site on a mobile phone...

5. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thanks for all the feedback - I really appreciate it. I agree that the .mobi extension is probably superfluous, so I've decided to let mine drop.

Cheers, Ned