What's new

Are Aussie domain names likely to keep appreciating in value?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
What are people's thoughts on this? I have gotten some pretty decent offers for a couple of my domains, and I wonder if I should 'take the money and run' or whether the value of these domains will go up by several orders of magnitude over the next few years, particularly if I develop them and get them listed in Google.

I suppose the 'domaining' scene in Australia is still in its infancy, which I suppose is a good sign for future values. On the other hand though, .com/net.au's will only ever be worth a fraction of the corresponding .com/net's.

Thoughts?

DavidL

Top Contributor
As long as more people build websites in Australia, the demand for .au domains will increase. As supply is limited, market forces dictate values will go up.

So if internet penetration increases or the population increases or both, yes they should appreciate.

The only doubt is the introduction of new gTLDs. If these take off and people get used to using .sydney, .kids etc this could dilute the market and values would suffer.

Reagrdless, I would always take the money & run if you think it's a reasonable offer. Consider your ROI and whether in reality you will develop in the near future or will other priorities get in the way. Even if the domain does notiionally appreciate because of the reasons above, you may never find another buyer!

neddy

Top Contributor
In my opinion, it really depends on how good your domain names are, and what your "end game" is.

Sometimes we can all "fall in love" with our own domain names and think that they are worth squillions of $$$! But the reality is that they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

If you've got what you consider is a decent offer, then I reckon you've answered your own question! A bird in the hand etc ..........

Cheers, Ned

loho27

2 Domains

Two domains one a ".com" one a ".com.au"

Both same parking company, income from the ".com.au" is tripple the ".com"

.com gets more traffic

The perception and the reallity is that ".com.au" provides higher quality and more local relevant content.

My portfolio is still 95% .com's but this is changing rapidly.

TroyW

Top Contributor
.travel, .id, etc have been around for years and noone cares. If you're in business in Australia, ppl expect you to have the .com.au.

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
Yep i agree.

Who knows what's going to happen with the new name spaces... for starters it costs a packet and thats only to get the rights... then you need a registry and registrars to distribute for you, (if you plan to sell..) advertising etc.

It's probably more of a generational thing and will take a while to kick in. People still don't get the whole www. thing.

dotworx

I heard some discussion a while back about opening up the first-level registration of .au, i.e. allowing registration of creditcard.au

Doesn't look it is going to happen, at least in the foreseeable future. But if it is coming, while it will dilute the value of .com.au/net.au, it would be a major land rush that I look forward to.

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
I heard some discussion a while back about opening up the first-level registration of .au, i.e. allowing registration of creditcard.au

Doesn't look it is going to happen, at least in the foreseeable future. But if it is coming, while it will dilute the value of .com.au/net.au, it would be a major land rush that I look forward to.

I believe it was reviewed by auDA maybe a year or so ago and no action was deemed necessary.

If it was going ahead current registrants of .com.au/net.au would have first pick in a sunrise I'd imagine.

dotworx

I would hope the sunrise is open to trademark holders only, not every existing registrants. ;-)

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
I think it was more of a "should we rebrand .com.au to .au" thing rather than just opening up more domains. I could be wrong thou.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I believe it was reviewed by auDA maybe a year or so ago and no action was deemed necessary.

If it was going ahead current registrants of .com.au/net.au would have first pick in a sunrise I'd imagine.

I'm sure they would but if both existing applicants applied who would get it?

There would always be 10's of 1,000's of existing apllicants who do nothing then bemoan that the generic.au equivalent has gone to an 'unscrupulous cyber squatter'

It could potentially be very very messy...

Shaun

Top Contributor
Hi,

I suggest if you are not sure about taking the money and running because you believe your asset is being undervalued, or that you could get more at a later stage, why don't you go back to the person who has made you the offer and ask them if they wish to lease the domain from you.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo