What's new

April Fools' Day joke

Shane

Top Contributor
Thought I'd share a little 'success story' from April Fools' Day.
I put together a little joke for my number plate site, which ended up generating over 50,000 unique visits to a dummy website I setup the day before.
I've put together a more detailed post here if anyone's interested:
http://www.numberplates.com.au/plates/blog/april-fools-joke-national-number-plate-scheme/
Definitely a very cheap and easy way of generating some serious traffic and social media activity if you put a little effort in. :)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Great story, can I ask how do we find out who the owners of numberplates are so we can contact them? ....... love to know, thanks

Shane

Top Contributor
Great story, can I ask how do we find out who the owners of numberplates are so we can contact them? ....... love to know, thanks
Many years ago you were able to pay a fee at the department of transport and they'd give you the plate owner's contact details. They don't do that anymore, presumably for privacy reasons.

findtim

Top Contributor
nice one, i ALWAYS do an april fool joke but this year i just totally missed it, forgot it and then it was 3pm and i went BUGGER.
who here agrees with the RULE that april fools jokes have to be started BEFORE 12 noon ? its something i was told when i was a kid.

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
Yep definitely have to start by noon, and many people say they also need to finish by noon. I don't follow the second part of that rule though.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Many years ago you were able to pay a fee at the department of transport and they'd give you the plate owner's contact details. They don't do that anymore, presumably for privacy reasons.

Yep that's what i suspected, thanks

Community sponsors

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archar0123

Industry and community links