1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

April Fools' Day joke

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by Shane, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thought I'd share a little 'success story' from April Fools' Day.
    I put together a little joke for my number plate site, which ended up generating over 50,000 unique visits to a dummy website I setup the day before.
    I've put together a more detailed post here if anyone's interested:
    http://www.numberplates.com.au/plates/blog/april-fools-joke-national-number-plate-scheme/
    Definitely a very cheap and easy way of generating some serious traffic and social media activity if you put a little effort in. :)

2. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Great story, can I ask how do we find out who the owners of numberplates are so we can contact them? ....... love to know, thanks

3. DnEbook

Please note i do not mean plate owners at your site

4. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Many years ago you were able to pay a fee at the department of transport and they'd give you the plate owner's contact details. They don't do that anymore, presumably for privacy reasons.

5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    nice one, i ALWAYS do an april fool joke but this year i just totally missed it, forgot it and then it was 3pm and i went BUGGER.
    who here agrees with the RULE that april fools jokes have to be started BEFORE 12 noon ? its something i was told when i was a kid.

tim

6. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yep definitely have to start by noon, and many people say they also need to finish by noon. I don't follow the second part of that rule though.

7. DnEbook

Yep that's what i suspected, thanks