What's new

Apple wants iphone5.com domain handed over

Rhythm

Top Contributor
http://j.mp/KDflLD

Apple is disputing ownership of the iphone5.com domain, sparking speculation that the company will use the long-rumored name for its next smartphone.

The Cupertino, Calif. electronics maker has filed a claim with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a United Nations agency that arbitrates Web domain disputes in cases of "cybersquatting," naming iphone5.com as the target.

The domain is currently active and hosts a discussion forum devoted to smartphones. It's unclear who owns iphone5.com since the domain, which was activated in early 2008, was registered anonymously. But it may have an Australian connection: The domain registrar which assigned the URL is based in that country.

I read an article about this WIPO claim - the article was saying how Apple is often slow to take any UDRP action but that this case appears to be an exception to the rule

payattention

Archived Member
Even though they want this domain I doubt the next iphone will be named iphone 5. Look at the ipad, they've taken to just calling it the ipad and my guess is the same will happen with the iphone series.

aus11

Top Contributor
Why do people even bother with buying domains like that? Even if the next iPhone isn't the 'iPhone 5' - Apple still would have the trademark for iPhone so they would lose it eventually.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member