What's new

AMA Buyers That Don't Pay

Chris.C

Top Contributor
So I was just wondering what's the process when you get a buyer that has purchased a domain on the AMA that doesn't pay?

It's been nearly a week now and their invoice hasn't been paid...

Ashman

Top Contributor
If your trading terms are payment upon receipt of invoice then send a demand letter after 7 days.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
After 164 hours of waiting, the buyer decides to make the payment a couple of hours after I post this...

Ironic.

:)

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Chris - glad to hear this went through.

Although I think it's important to note that 7 days is not a particularly excessive amount of time, especially at this time of year. I know it might be frustrating, but you would be surprised at how many transactions take up to 4 weeks or more - and complete successfully.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Although I think it's important to note that 7 days is not a particularly excessive amount of time, especially at this time of year. I know it might be frustrating, but you would be surprised at how many transactions take up to 4 weeks or more - and complete successfully.
Really?

I thought NF had a policy that invoices had to be paid within 7 days?

Mark

Top Contributor
We do have this policy - but people can be overseas, on holiday, ill, dealing with personal issues etc etc. Of course we all want invoices to be paid immediately, but in real life sometimes this can't be achieved.

I should probably rephrase - we don't have many cases that go on that long - far from it - but this time of year some delays may happen.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Yeah I understand delays happen.

That said, when you are liquidating a domain and you put it up for no reserve auction, and the winner hasn't paid after 7 days I basically start thinking to myself, well if this bloke isn't serious about buying it I may as well put it up for no reserve auction again because I do want to sell it.

It's probably important to clarify these technicalities because I don't think it's acceptable that the seller be expected to wait longer than 7 days, and after that point the seller should at least have the option of selling the domain again to someone who is willing to pay.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Really?

I thought NF had a policy that invoices had to be paid within 7 days?

Sedo has the same policy, a large number don't pay in that time, probably 40%+. I think they give them 6 weeks minimum, have had people pay after a couple of months.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
its a shame people don't follow through with the sale - my guess is that the AMA probably has many sales abandoned due to this scenario, I've won at the AMA and the seller hasn't gone through with the transaction, disappointing really but, what can you do when the agreed sale is minute and not worth the time and effort and possible legal fees to pursue it? implement a buyer / seller rating system?

johno69

Top Contributor
I've won at the AMA and the seller hasn't gone through with the transaction, disappointing really but, what can you do when the agreed sale is minute and not worth the time and effort and possible legal fees to pursue it? implement a buyer / seller rating system?

Can always stop their privilege to trade on the platform until they answer the "please explain"?

acheeva

Top Contributor
Sales Not Completed

I have had sellers renege on AMA

In these cases AMA has advised me of the action taken against the vendors and I have accepted that NF had done their best.

I have also had the case of a private seller deliver a net.au instead of a com.au (unfortunately it was part of a parcel & not recognized until after the event)

In the private case I had to accept that legal action was not viable & a remedy was difficult to achieve because you only ever receive compensation not foregone gains

johno69

Top Contributor
I can't see a rating system working. If there's a domain you want you are going to bid regardless of their rating.

If a seller can renege and is still able to list more for sale then it will just breed more of the same.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I don't think it will be a cure all, but it's still nice to know if someone is tyre kicker when bidding via the catalogue or if you are attempting to buy a domains from a legit seller who will follow through on the sale.

Plus their is nothing like a bit of social pressure to coerce people to do the right thing.

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree with a rating system, a lot of work though to monitor and be judge and jury.

i deal with elance constantly and they have a rating system, its automatic and i think it works well, everytime i have a job finished i rate the person i employed out of 5 and it compounds to their %, i even write comments at the end.

So when i go to employ someone i get to read all the past comments and i can check them as well by visiting the websites.

YES, you could scam the system but i check dmoan ownership on the completed job etc andthe same goes for selling.

Ned's recent thread on domain ownership had great info in it, maybe in the new year we should all get together and create a "checklist" about the steps you should take when purchasing an AMA to reduce the risk of stuff up.

tim

PS: i haven't purchased on AMA, just done private deals.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have had sellers renege on AMA

In these cases AMA has advised me of the action taken against the vendors and I have accepted that NF had done their best.

I have also had the case of a private seller deliver a net.au instead of a com.au (unfortunately it was part of a parcel & not recognized until after the event)

In the private case I had to accept that legal action was not viable & a remedy was difficult to achieve because you only ever receive compensation not foregone gains

i had a $1499 sale fall through because the buyer claims he did not click the sold link ...........lodged a support ticket but knew nothing would eventuate

Mark

Top Contributor
We do have a Verified Sellers badge on many domains where we have authenticated the legal owner of the domain, which goes some way to checking the authenticity and motivation of the seller, such as

http://www.netfleet.com.au/OnlineGames.com.au

This could be expanded in to some basic rating system. Will make a note to look in to more in the new year.

i had a $1499 sale fall through because the buyer claims he did not click the sold link ...........lodged a support ticket but knew nothing would eventuate

Please PM me details Rod as I can't find any record of this on Netfleet?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
We do have a Verified Sellers badge on many domains where we have authenticated the legal owner of the domain, which goes some way to checking the authenticity and motivation of the seller
I agree that this is a nice step, though it would be even nicer to take it a step further.

That said, I noticed that whilst I'm a verified seller on most of my domains, it isn't applied to all domains:

http://www.netfleet.com.au/kitchendoors.com.au

vs

http://www.netfleet.com.au/villas.com.au

:confused:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.