What's new

Alt Tag

Snooks

Top Contributor
Can an experienced person please offer me some advice regarding alt tags.

I understand the alt tag has words and these should be appropriate keywords, so the logo on my Red Widget site may well have the alt tag of "red widget shop"

Now, a tool im using is showing i have like 60 alt tags on a page but, only 24 have words or are named. These 24 are products, the remiaing alt tags are buttons, symbols on headings etc etc. Can i just for example insert keywords in these alt tags to increase KW density and also have better alt tags. Would this be seen as sneaky or KW stuffing by Google.

It would end up i may have a button or symbol called "red widgets shop", or "cream widget".

This is my main site and i never ever ever gamble with it.......this feeds my wife and kids so i need to know any possible repercussions before i even consider the changes.

Would the changes help my seo at all?

Appreciate the time guys (in advance), Thanks:)

davids

Top Contributor
I would only add relevant alt tags to images where appropriate, I would suggest using them as intended: as an alternate description of the image for when it can't be loaded, or for those using screenreaders, etc.

So if you have a button that says, "Click here to pay!" have the alt tag as "Click here to pay!" I'd say stuffing them with random keywords would probably hurt your site in terms of SEO rather than help it.

Snooks

Top Contributor
I thought that may be the case and thats why ive never done it.......thanks for the opinion:)

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree with davids but it does depend on your site, if it is a static page as opposed to a database produced page then you could get away with "click here to pay fro red widgets" ..... large red widget on a different page etc.

theres loadssss of reading about it online, all i suggest is you CHECK what date it was written as anything over 6 months old is almost useless.

but either way don't over do it

tim

James

Top Contributor
Just name the image to what it is, its pretty easy.

Example: Red BMW in image, call image RED BMW even include model if you wish.

People get hit by google when they call the image: RED BMW, BMW PARTS, Buy bMW parts ect

Snooks

Top Contributor
I understand that James. but many are just like a button, or a symbol so in all honesty dont justify atitle:( Many of them are merely spacers etc used during page design.

I just thought if i could get away with it, well it may strengthen the page SEO a lot.

But i think its pushing it too much:(

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
I understand that James. but many are just like a button, or a symbol so in all honesty dont justify atitle:( Many of them are merely spacers etc used during page design.

I just thought if i could get away with it, well it may strengthen the page SEO a lot.

But i think its pushing it too much:(

You are not going to worry about naming things which are of small value, only spend your time targeting the high quality images imo, you do not have to name every single element on the website, if you have higher quality images then name them, name the file name the same as the alt too.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo