What's new

All IT Tip #1 - Removing Malare/Viruses

Hi everyone,

This is the first of a number of posts we want to put out here to give a little back to the community.

At All IT, we see a lot of machines come through which are infected with malware/viruses, and a lot of time they’re somewhat easy to remove. We also understand that small businesses are often on a tight budget and IT often consumes a large portion of that. We want to help you allocate money to the areas of IT which make a difference to the efficiency and growth of your business.

Here you'll find a few free anti-malware applications which (collectively), in most cases will remove all malware on your machine.
The common terms which fall under the malware umbrella are ones like virus, spyware, adware and rootkits. Although these terms all mean something different, they're all unwanted little nasties.

There are a few key applications that we use to remove malware and here is the order we usually run them:

1) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - www.malwarebytes.org
You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware here

2) SUPERAntiSpyware - www.superantispyware.com
You can download SUPERAntiSpyware portable edition here

3) Spybot Search and Destroy - www.safer-networking.org
You can download Spybot Search and Destroy here from any of the servers on this site.

These are all fairly simple applications to run and use, and we are more than happy to help you if you get stuck or have any questions around this topic.

James

Top Contributor
thanks I use most of these,

Another question my sister is looking for a free anti virus, what do you recommend for here?

Also what is the best paid solution on the market?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Avast! Free Antivirus is good James, followed by AVG.

In fact a lot of the free antivirus software around is pretty good these days. They basically give away the full version of the antivirus as you really should have a full internet security suite to stay protected...

My tip would be to always keep Adobe Flash & Reader up to date are they are commonly used to deploy malware.

Hi James,

Like FirstPageResults said, it is important to keep applications like Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader and also Java updated for the reasons he stated.

The leader board changes so rapidly when it comes to antivirus. I can't tell you which antivirus application is the best because the reality is that some antivirus applications pick up viruses that other don't. It's not always the case that a paid version of the product is better but some will argue that they are. This is all dependent on what the paid version has that the free version doesn't.

There's quite a few free antivirus applications out there. When going down the 'free' path, I'll usually go with Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG.

As for the paid solutions, I usually stick with Norton antivirus but there are some other great applications like Kasperky and ESET NOD32.

I would download and run the applications above and see what they find - if anything. And if you like them, keep them!

Hope this helps.

Markz

I have been using Avira [the free one] for years. It's pretty good. Any one from these group [Avast!; AVG and Avira] should do the job nicely.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
No Anti-Virus is 100% infallible.

Recommended FREE Anti-Virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. This will cover most home users/ SOHO users and Small Business users up to 10 installation on MS Windows-based computers.

AVG Free, Avast (free) are not licensed for use in a commercial environment. As mentioned previously Microsoft Security Essentials (up to 10 computers) is.

findtim

Top Contributor
I have been using NOD32 .com.au for the past 11 years, i have had only ONE instance where somethign got past it and the brisbane helpline were onto it straight away with help for me.

the virus was one that was almost impossible to stop and later my research online said that was the case so i have no issues with nod.

they have been voted the BEST antivirus for the past 10 years from the geeks of the world

the first thing i do when i buy a new laptop ( every second june [ pre tax] ) is remove norton COMPLETELY and install NOD32.

I have my entire family/inlaws/clients using it and its never let any of us down.

it was recommended to me by my best mate who is a computer repairer and makes a MOTSA every year from people bringing him computers that use free anti virus, AVG......... is the most used and he LOVES it as he gets $150 to fix their problems as its failed then sell them the NOD32 to stop it happening again.

i thnk NOD is only $66? a year my family we buy it in bulk computer package so its even cheaper, plus renewal is then even cheaper.

++++ if shit happens ( which it won't ) you can actually PHONE a brisbane number and someone will actually answer !!!! go figure !

i'm sorry but for me the price to benefit of paying FAR outweighs the "freebie" model.

you can download a free 30 day trial and see how effecient it is, it just updates in the background always, as soon as some geek in nowhere land finds a virus they email it to nod32 and they fix it and then your computer updates.

i love it, lost time = lost money

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members