What's new

AFR Domain Name Article

Scott.L

Top Contributor

good article; I had the horror of a similar senario this year, I saw that one of my best names was still in my old sole trading name; auDA and ventraip were actually very quick to fix it with some simple admin on my behalf.

If you read the article, the real question is; who will be the first to register superbiz.com.au LOL

good article; I had the horror of a similar senario this year, I saw that one of my best names was still in my old sole trading name; auDA and ventraip were actually very quick to fix it with some simple admin on my behalf.

If you read the article, the real question is; who will be the first to register superbiz.com.au LOL
indeed! What Peter is talking about is very common, we see it often.

"Even when your domain is registered to the right company, you might not have effective control of it."

A hell of allot more can be done to resolve this issue.

lack of knowledge is often the problem "I just had my IT guy sort it out" is often the response. This ties in with a book that Craig McDonald recently published on cyber security, which targets business mangers NOT the IT people. Issues involving Domains and Cyber Security can destroy a business, so people in management need to know! I am happy to give it a plug because it addresses the big issues for business (I'm also quoted in the book ;)). Here is a link to it.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
lack of knowledge is often the problem "I just had my IT guy sort it out" is often the response. This ties in with a book that Craig McDonald recently published on cyber security, which targets business mangers NOT the IT people. Issues involving Domains and Cyber Security can destroy a business, so people in management need to know! I am happy to give it a plug because it addresses the big issues for business (I'm also quoted in the book ;)). Here is a link to it.

Is it true or propaganda?
I was terrified by some of the stats until it got "unbelievable" - if real, I doubt I will log-in to email again - lol

findtim

Top Contributor
i've picked up a LOT of work over the years in just that scenario, saving domains for clients, mostly because the web-person has just gone missing !!!

i work with some very NEEDY, fast moving clients but i have never not been able to get an abn out of them to register a domain, its totally the fault of the business owner and we developers should also not allow it, just say NO.......give me an abn.

its not that hard.
tim

TrafficSauce

indeed! What Peter is talking about is very common, we see it often.
Almost disappointingly common... and, as mentioned, usually prefaced with the statement "I'll have my IT/Web/Dev person sort it out".
Anecdotally, Godaddy brokerage service appears to be a prime offender also, when it comes to .com.au. They don't appear to have much working knowledge of the .au space and often fail to initiate a COR at all - not exactly earning their commission!

Sim

I manage some sizeable domain portfolios for my clients and go to quite a bit of trouble to explain to them recovery procedures in case anything ever happens to me. They trust me implicitly (and I them - I am often clients of these people as well), but there's always the scenario that I get hit by the proverbial bus and aren't able to continue managing their domains for them or even initiate the recovery procedure - they need to be able to take control themselves in the worst case scenario.

Similarly when I recently took over the management and hosting of a website for a not-for-profit organisation I'm involved in ... part of the proposal I put forward included details of exactly how they would gain back control of their domains and their website if either something happened to me or the relationship between us broke down.

chris

Top Contributor
Agree, all too common. I had an issue last week with a someone who contacted me that their website was down. Long story short, the reseller let their own domain expire and couldn't be contacted. We processed an account split at the parent registrar, however the process took 72 hours which was devastating to their business which is primarily online.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member