1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-on domains

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by Rhythm, May 23, 2012.

1. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

hi

Can someone please give me a rundown on this feature as it applies to VentraIP and/or other hosts?

Basically: if I set one up - how does it work? Any risks?

2. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Works as a separate site within your hosting package.

3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    WOW, i just had this conversation with ventra a few hours ago, just ring them and get them to explain but here's the details i got.

you buy a hosting package and put a domain on it abc.com , you then decide to put another on it xyz.com

there is only ONE cpanel, so abc.com is the top folder and xyz.com is a folder UNDER abc.com , BUT the xyz.com domain does resolve to the xyz.com domain and nobody knows any different

thus you can have as many "folders" under abc.com as you like BUT only one cpanel so its no good for reselling hosting as you can't ginve access to clients so you have to do it all yourself becuase then your clients will be able to access everyone elses folders.

NOW, if you had your own "set" of domains or a client had a set eg: noosahotels, canberrahotels, etc then the add-on domain hosting could be a good option.

for me, i like everything to be individual with individual cpanels for each domain as if you sell off a domain when its an "add-on" then you have muck around with seperating it from the add-on hosting.

so thats the short story but the ventraip help line is very good and will explain it.

tim

4. xwdomains

xwdomains Membership: Community

If your going to setup many sites your better off going with a reseller account

it's just like it says and add on domain under the same Cpanel you add the domain and put the new site in a new folder can get buggy with WordPress installations

5. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    How so?

I've never had a problem and run many this way. Interested to know what to look out for in regards to buggyness.

6. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i can't see any reason for "bugginess" but i do see problems in managing and organising heaps of clients.

the reseller hosting pricing packages are good and if you can't make moeny on them then you have to look at your business plan !

i'd only reccommend using add-on system if it was ONE client with multiple domains or YOU with multiple domains other wise keep it all seperated in a reseller hosting package

maybe thats just how i have always worked but it works perfectly for me.

tim

7. xwdomains

sometimes when using a add on domain the sever will create the wordpress installation like a subdomain
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/hostgator-addon-domains

other things could be a redirect from the database to the main top level name instead of the add on domain rarely happens and the biggest issue users have is not selecting multi site installation when installing wordpress on a add on domain or uploading to the wrong folder.

8. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    All of these examples you have given are the users having no idea when setting it up.

It's simple. Create the site in the folder it's meant to go in, set the correct domain in the WP config, not the subdomain and you have zero issues.

9. xwdomains

It's also much easier to manage and some users may have the wrong path in the wordpress config file if installed manually

this happens more with php scripts though more then wordpress. a lot of users don't know what they are doing...

also you need to select multisite or it won't set up correctly when installing wordpress on a addon domain

not sure why anyone would use an add on domain when a reseller account can be sourced on wht reasonably cheap.
    If you ever want to sell 1 web site you will have to move the entire site instead of just passing on hosting info
    and maybe even charging for the hosting to the new buyer.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  10. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Can you tell me which of the wordpress sites in my signature are sub domains and which are root domains? I even have a few "Parked" domains that i'm sure you'd have no idea were set up that way.

There's a nice blend there. I disagree re your multisite comment too.

None of my sites are using multisite.

Just install WP as normal, manually or using fantastico/softacuolous/installatron etc etc.. and when asked the domain name, put domain name.

In regards to other PHP sites/scripts these too are quite simple to customise..

Example: Live Poker Australia & Live Poker France are actually parked not addon domains of this Play Local domain but with a little configuration you'd never know. Nothing you can't do these days.

11. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Depends on what you want to do. It's not difficult to move a site out these days anyway.

Some clients want simplicity. I think you are thinking only from one view.

Addons are great, reseller accounts are great.. each to their own.

12. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

Thanks guys.

Did some more reading on this and it seems there are arguments for and against addons.

Will look into it.

13. xwdomains

Agreed I have used addons in the past I find reseller much easier to manage.