What's new

About to launch first website...

Alex

Top Contributor
Hello,

Any veterans here that can tell me what I need to be doing just before launching my first website?

Like the site is 90% developed, good strong .com.au url, been building up the social media channels, long term plan, etc.

Probably be live in two weeks. <--- Direction would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Alex

James

Top Contributor
What about SEO wise what have you done?

Do you plan to set up Google Webmaster Tools? Google Analytics? ect

Alex

Top Contributor
Hi James,

SEO is the primary thing I am thinking I need to start taking into consideration.

I have read a lot about this. <--- Actually a lot from your posts. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the topic. Also a decent guy. Thank you for all the info shared.

As of yet I have done nothing as the website is just a tumblr photo blog. Maybe worth a few back links. <--- lol - From what I heave read very very very bad for SEO.

Good news is the site is about to be completely redeveloped using Codeigniter with a WordPress blog. The Codeigniter portion is going to be updating either daily or weekly with 29 various eBay product feeds + Google news.

Later as the site develops I am going to introduce a login and users can post objects for sale on the site. Guessing this will help with the original content?

I do have a Google apps account and have been building up various social media platforms to support the site.

Any thoughts or direction on this would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Last edited:

Alex

Top Contributor
Hi Designer,

Thank you for the reply ;)

Umm - I have noted many members are hesitant or do not indicate the domain name of a site they are developing. Not sure exactly why, but I am guessing it's for a good reason.

Could someone please explain their personal thoughts surrounding this?

Best wishes,
Alex

snoopy

Top Contributor
-Forget about SEO.
-Forget about social.
-Forget about blogs.
-Forget about affiliate links.
-Figure out a business plan that involves selling a product or service.
-Get a site up as soon as you can, even if it is lousy.

Alex

Top Contributor
Hello Snoopy I am most honored...

Your posts on the forum are by far the most entertaining! I agree with you 99.9% of the time. The rest of the time I bet you could prove me wrong. ;)

The site will have a service when fully developed. Just trying to make it look full of content from eBay to begin with. This way it looks busy. Using the social media to entice or as a selling feature. Meaning seemingly more exposure for products listed. Do you find any merit in this?

Really no SEO, no blog... How is Google suppose to find me?

Kind regards,
Alex

johno69

Top Contributor
How is Google suppose to find me?

Kind regards,
Alex

This might sound strange, but isn't it the customers you want to find you?

Build a site your target market will love and Google will love you by default.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Hello Snoopy I am most honored...

Your posts on the forum are by far the most entertaining! I agree with you 99.9% of the time. The rest of the time I bet you could prove me wrong. ;)

The site will have a service when fully developed. Just trying to make it look full of content from eBay to begin with. This way it looks busy. Using the social media to entice or as a selling feature. Meaning seemingly more exposure for products listed. Do you find any merit in this?

Really no SEO, no blog... How is Google suppose to find me?

Kind regards,
Alex

Ebay feeds will not do anything for you, waste of time. Think about a real business model. Why would someone buy what I am selling? What are you going to sell?

Google will find you over time, or when you buy traffic from them. If it were me I start with the name, get an adwords voucher for some free traffic, put a poll on it and ask people are looking for they search for the term. Then give them exactly what they want. If what they want is not a product or service then don't develop that name.

Alex

Top Contributor
Hi Johno69,

Thank you for the reply. :)

I do believe the site I am building will be loved. I have worked very hard the last few months getting it together. Actually a bit compulsively and with a good deal of care.

So in your opinion this is enough? My thoughts were until recently that ranking in Google is how customers find me. Then I talked to an IT friend who said I probably would be better off spending money on advertising than SEO.

Most of my SEO research has led to me thinking that good content is key and that it is best achieved through a blog. Not all of us can be as luck as Ned and have an awesome forum. ;)

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
I do believe the site I am building will be loved. I have worked very hard the last few months getting it together. Actually a bit compulsively and with a good deal of care.

Based on what? If there is no site there then you won't know anything about how people feel about it. I would start with this premise, whatever is on the site initially will probably need to a be completely changed. Better to do a half assed job and figure it out while you go rather than trying to guess what is going to work and spending a lot of time on that.

So in your opinion this is enough? My thoughts were until recently that ranking in Google is how customers find me. Then I talked to an IT friend who said I probably would be better off spending money on advertising than SEO.

I think it is probably a bit of a 50/50 thing for alot of businesses, organic versus paid traffic. But spending lots of time on SEO is probably a waste of time in my view.

To answer the question though I very much doubt it will be enough. Get the site up and see.

Most of my SEO research has led to me thinking that good content is key and that it is best achieved through a blog. Not all of us can be as luck as Ned and have an awesome forum. ;)

That is a bit like going down to a building site and ask them what a good job would be. If you research SEO then it will be all about content & links. That isn't how most people on the web do well though, they sell a product or service that people want.

Do you think Ned got lucky? (actually ned didn't start the forum I think he was the 2nd owner) People don't get lucky with sites, they think up ideas based around what people want. There was really no .com.au forum and this filled a needed gap.

Alex

Top Contributor
Thank you for the info Snoopy. <--- Think you're awesome!!!

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
-Forget about SEO.
-Forget about social.
-Forget about blogs.
-Forget about affiliate links.
-Figure out a business plan that involves selling a product or service.
-Get a site up as soon as you can, even if it is lousy.

vote 1, my most loved snoopy post

FINALLY, we agree !

tim

Last edited:

chris

Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

I agree with the comments above, especially getting something up as soon as you can.

I'd also set up some clear objectives and goals (email opt-in, contact, sales etc.) using something like Google Analytics. That way you can start to measure how you're travelling and track your progress over time.

You've got a good pool of people on DN Trade to help test if you need it ;)

Good luck with your site launch, please let us all know how you go!

Cheers,
Chris

Alex

Top Contributor
Thank you Chris and Tim. Yes, I think Snoopy really really really knows his stuff. Probably also saved me a bit of money. Snoopy if your out there I owe you a coffee. :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member