What's new

A weird domain drop today...

robert

Top Contributor
Hi guys,

Something weird happened today, I think... I hope it's just me doing something wrong, but I need to do a bit of an investigation for piece of mind.

MelbourneCityAccommodation.com.au was on Netfleet and Drop.com.au

I made a considerable grab for it on Netfleet.

When I went over to Drop - I saw it was sold for $1.

I had $111 for it over on Netfleet. It was a confirmed amount showing in my account with Netfleet by 10am (Perth Time).

Just now, I have performed a WHOIS on the name and it is coming up as a local domainer as the owner as of 5 hours ago from Drop.com.au

Am I missing something or doing something wrong from my side?

Neddy, if you wouldn't mind, could you please tell me if you won this domain name today and, if so, how much you paid for it?

I wrote to both DROP and NETFLEET about this today, at around 11:10am - asking what was happening...

No one has responded yet.

All I got from Netfleet was this email:

"Dear Robert,

Although you were the highest bidder for these domain names, we unfortunately did not manage to register them for you or the reserve was not met,

melbournecityaccommodation.com.au

Best wishes,
The Netfleet Team"

Sorry, but I'm very confused over this.

:confused:

robert

Top Contributor
Sorry, this is the first time this has happened to me. For some reason I was under the impression that it was the highest bidder, no matter what name dropping platform they were using?

Do you mean to tell me, if someone is bidding $11 over at Netfleet and $1 over at Drop - the $1 bidder can beat the $11 bidder because of?? I don't get how this works? Why and how is the system built this way?

chris

Top Contributor
Sorry, this is the first time this has happened to me. For some reason I was under the impression that it was the highest bidder, no matter what name dropping platform they were using?

Do you mean to tell me, if someone is bidding $11 over at Netfleet and $1 over at Drop - the $1 bidder can beat the $11 bidder because of?? I don't get how this works? Why and how is the system built this way?

Hi robert,

Correct, it's whichever platform manages to catch the name. If you really want a name, you have to be the highest bidder on all platforms.

The drop catchers compete to "catch" the expiring names. The winning bid on a given platform only gets you the name *if* they catch it. This is why it's a "no catch, no pay" system.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
Chris

robert

Top Contributor
Holy.....

Well I guess I've been extremely lucky up until this point then?!

Now that I know that, how many "drop-catchers" are we talking about here?

Drop, Netfleet, Domainshield (they're new, right?)

That's all the .com.au ones, right?

robert

Top Contributor
I'm still not happy with the level of service, support or communication from Netfleet though.

Last week, I received an email from Netfleet basically saying: "You have won the domain name, but your credit card didn't work."

I instantly replied saying: "There's nothing wrong with my credit card, you might want to try it again."

Within the hour, Mark replied something like: "Oh yeah, we ran it again and it worked fine this time."

However.

Whenever I email them a question, like what happened to me today, there's no response for days, if at all.

Probably because it didn't have anything to do with them getting paid.

neddy

Top Contributor
Oh,

and congratulations on your cool new domain name today, Neddy :)

Thanks Robert. :)

I've just seen your post now, and from the looks of it, everyone has explained that you need to bid on all 3 platforms if you want the best chance of securing a particular domain.

By the way, don't feel too bad - I did something similar yesterday on travel insurance reviews dot com dot au. Was $1066 on Netfleet (not me). Drop got it for me. Steal of the day.

Cheers, Ned

P.S. If you ever want another chat Robert, I presume you still have my number?

robert

Top Contributor
I can't believe I didn't know this, but I'm glad this awesome DNTRADE forum exists to communicate with you guys.

Don't worry Neddy, I'm sure I'll be calling you again, if not for some more tips, then maybe to try and buy some of your awesome names!

Good job on scoring those names Neddy!

robert

Top Contributor
Update: Drop emailed me first thing this morning regarding my query. Still nothing from Netfleet.

findtim

Top Contributor
robert, just a footnote for this thread based on your inexperience, you may find that some older threads will give you incorrect advice as netfleet changed its ways last year so some of the old "grabbing domain tactics" no longer are valid, domainshield also has a different platform to drop and netfleet so you will need to learn their system now.
this is just FYI, most info is still valid as described above. you need to bid on all.
just feel free to post for a clarification on an old thread
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members