What's new

3 and 4 letter .com.au + .net.au?

Timmy

Banned
I have a heap of 3 and 4 letter domains I am looking at, mainly because I have 3 and 4 word domain names I wanted acronyms for. (Reg FEE)

Are 3 and 4 letter domains generally worth a bit? Or mainly just for branding and convenience for my users...?

Interested on your thoughts.

Jonathan

Top Contributor
If we're just talking about random letter combinations, I don't think 4 letters are worth anything.

3 letters are probably worth $XX to $XXX.

I have a couple of 2 letter names on Netfleet that have yet to surpass $XXX.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
One of the first open secondary auctions we plan to run is potentially an LL & LLL themed auction. So it may be worthwhile getting involved when we announce the opportunity.

PS: Before you ask me the 'when' question, all I'll commit to for now is "soon". We will want to do some industry advertising too so there will be an advertising/promotion period for the domain list too!

George Pongas

johno69

Top Contributor
I am currently looking for a 3 or 4 letter .au, and I do have quite a combination that I can go for.

Hopefully one of my options may turn up soon.

Last edited:

marketingweb

Top Contributor
I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's too small a market in Aus for them to be worth a lot automatically.

In .com world people pay stupid prices for totally random 3 or 4 letter domain names that are often unpronounceable. On the other hand late last year I hand reged a previously dropped domain name of joom.com.au simply because it was four letters with a double o in the middle, definitely pronounceable and what I would call "brand-able" in a web2.0 kind of way. Time will tell if this is a good investment, and I do have an idea for a site but it's a bit of a way down my development queue.

On the other hand something like dxpq.com.au or uadl.com.au or lkyb.com.au is not going to be worth any more than regfee just because it's 4 letters, unless someone REALLY wants it as an abreviation of their business name, and you would have to be very clever or lucky to succeed on that. That said if we go the way of .com it could be a genius investment to buy them up cheap, however I think we are too small and far behind as a market to make it a worthwhile investment.

Matt
Marketing Web
Steel Cattle Yards

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Way too much info I agree.
I'm not saying joom.com.au is the best domain ever (it's not), but it does have a ring to it and would be difficult to misspell. If you tried to brand jool.com.au, well there are basically way too many ways something phonetically pronounced as "jool" could be spelled - whereas joom could only be spelled joom.

I probably sound crazy with the about post, but that's just my thinking. Thanks for the tip though!

Matt
Marketing Web

johno69

Top Contributor
joom is about as good as "goog"

Has a ring to it because it sounds like something we use (or some of us do) every day.

Apart from that, not much else going for it IMO.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member