What's new

2015 Names Policy Panel - " the next steps"

findtim

Top Contributor
firstly, thanks demoniod for creating the post which attracted so much attention.
SO, what happens now?
i personally would like this thread to follow whts going on from this moment on.

well i think we all need to know and i don't mean " know a result" , i mean " KNOW " as i think what has come out of all this is a clear understanding that auda and the registrars have basically underhandedly put a process together that is for their own benefit and theirs alone.
i received the auda annual report the other day and it clearly shows IMO there is no need for a .au
it clearly shows that IMO a .net.au owner has not any right to a .com.au if the .au would be introduced it should be GIVEN to the .com.au otherwise it will just prove this is a money grab.
it clearly shows this is nothing more then a money grab based on the graphs because MOST of the money will come from present owners of domains and that just SUCKS.

the person who currently doesn't own a domain name , doesn't want to.

lets cut out this BS about " the current domainer has a choice for X amount of years" thats just a delayed payment plan.

"hey tim, i can break your legs today or i can break your legs in 5 years....... which do you chose " ?

------------------
auda, PLEASE stop treating the average small business person like an idiot , it will come back and bite you as i have said before.

tim
0439 859 860 after 10am

Erwin

Top Contributor
That is the big question.. When will auDA let us know when a decision has been made to open up .au at the 2nd level. this year perhaps?

findtim

Top Contributor
has been made to open up .au at the 2nd level
see, read your words " when.........." it implies its already decided, this is the rhetoric i keep hearing and reading , like WHY do the survey as its a god given result and the survey is just a scam to pretend that they actually asked the stackholders for imput
does nobody else see this ?

tim

Rhythm

Top Contributor
it clearly shows that IMO a .net.au owner has not any right to a .com.au if the .au would be introduced it should be GIVEN to the .com.au otherwise it will just prove this is a money grab.

IMO the .net.au has rights if it was registered prior to the .com.au

findtim

Top Contributor
what i meant was, WHY buy a dropping domain based on this criteria of DATE which means you will not get the .au if it comes as the .net.au owner will get it, SO thus 2 things need to happen, stop selling .net.au and stop drop/nf/ds from trading .com.au domains that have a .net.au already registered ? its like selling utube.com.au a million times.

its like selling a block of land with an ocean view and not telling them a highrise is going up in front of them next year
SO, if you are buying on drop, based on this "DATE" senario , best you check who owns the .net.au as if date is the consideration i personally wouldn't bother buying the dropping domain.
and if you believe this and act on it then the drop systems are going to DROPPPPPPP
tim

brettf

Maybe a more obvious conclusion is that about 90% of micro, small and medium business when asked want domains in the second level.

You can't have it both ways. There was no voice from the domainer community when for example the public consultation was done to allow domain monetization? So the next time that gets reviewed will you be happy for auDA to email all registrants? Because I'd imagine the outcome would be normal domain users would vote to end it. Where wold that leave the value of your portfolios?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
When you don't give a fair and reasonable analysis in your email, you can't expect an informed response. That's pretty easy to understand isn't it? I notice in your blog posts you did put the pro's and con's of both sides but in the email you didn't.

You've got no credibility in this argument.

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
Cynical manipulation of the process by the companies that stand to gain the most. A lot of NetRegistry, ZipHosting, TPPWholesale, MelbourneIT etc customers are going to be very shocked by what they voted for down the line...

brettf

When you don't give a fair and reasonable analysis in your email, you can't expect an informed response. That's pretty easy to understand isn't it? I notice in your blog posts you did put the pro's and con's of both sides but in the email you didn't.

You've got no credibility in this argument.

No credibility? Maybe with self-interested domainers, but seems plenty of people found the argument compelling and took steps to support it. I couldn't imagine them doing that if I had no credibility.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
That's the point Brett. You think you're right because you sent a biased email and got people to vote your way. Ethically, you know you did the wrong thing because you only presented one side of the story. That's why you have no credibility.
I've said that twice now, happy to keep pointing it out.

brettf

That's the point Brett. You think you're right because you sent a biased email and got people to vote your way. Ethically, you know you did the wrong thing because you only presented one side of the story. That's why you have no credibility.
I've said that twice now, happy to keep pointing it out.

Ethically I did the wrong thing?

The problem is you don't understand what a multi-stakeholder model is. People are on the panel to represent a view. There is zero requirement for me to 'present both sides of the argument'. I can't wait for the next election where polling day I'm handed how to vote cards that give a clear and balanced summary and don't encourage me to vote for a particular party. The domainer(s) on the panel certainly delivered their own view to their community. In fact I copied the how to vote concept from something presented to the domainer community that you all cheered on - didn't seem ethically wrong in that case?

If I'd sent the exact same email saying vote no, and drawn the opposite result in the process, you'd all be giving me high fives. Which is hypocritical.

I didn't make anyone vote a particular way. Adults made their own choice and the result was simple 6,500 people clicked through, about 4,000 responded, 90% in favour. That is both an over whelming and compelling result. Irrespective on what I may or may not feel, the result has now happened and is a matter of fact.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
You're claiming 90% of of small businesses support your position based on the response to your email which didn't give both sides of the story. That's three times.

I called on auDA to notify every domain holder. They're stakeholders aren't they?

You copied FindTim's concept? The one where he presented both sides of the equation? Nah, no you didn't.

I'm happy to let the majority of stakeholders make the decision, that's fair.

If you honestly think a biased email, supporting one point of view that leads to an outcome supporting that point of view, represents a fair outcome then you are logically and ethically challenged.

findtim

Top Contributor
brettf, you hardly show up here and now you do? i love that, so congrats........ you have a database of 6500 people that know NOTHING but trust you and you just told one side of the story to them, down the track you'll take their money .... well done
i have a much smaller set of clients who i gave both sides of the story to and they voted 100% against

so how on earth can you have 90% yes and i have 100% no ? hmmmmmmmmm, maybe because i told them the truth !

meanwhile auda just sat on the fence and watched their little game play out the way they want it to.

HOW can auda say they can't inform every domain name owner because it would be spam but registrars can ? it just doesn't make sense to me. its an undefendable argument given what has been previously stated that auda send out emails on other occasions.

BUT hey, now we know who spiked the votes.

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
I haven't seen this famous email, but from what I've read here I'd be more worried that of those that clicked through, 10% still voted NO.
It goes to show that some are willing to stand up and say no even when there's a hard push to vote yes.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Ethically I did the wrong thing?

The problem is you don't understand what a multi-stakeholder model is. People are on the panel to represent a view. There is zero requirement for me to 'present both sides of the argument'. I can't wait for the next election where polling day I'm handed how to vote cards that give a clear and balanced summary and don't encourage me to vote for a particular party. The domainer(s) on the panel certainly delivered their own view to their community. In fact I copied the how to vote concept from something presented to the domainer community that you all cheered on - didn't seem ethically wrong in that case?

If I'd sent the exact same email saying vote no, and drawn the opposite result in the process, you'd all be giving me high fives. Which is hypocritical.

I didn't make anyone vote a particular way. Adults made their own choice and the result was simple 6,500 people clicked through, about 4,000 responded, 90% in favour. That is both an over whelming and compelling result. Irrespective on what I may or may not feel, the result has now happened and is a matter of fact.

Do you have the facts to back this up Brett?
Can you produce it here please?

Let's check all of the names, email addresses, IP addresses, links to Supply organisations and content of the surveys, claims made....

You claimed in Melbourne yesterday at the PRP meeting that the new .uk extension was now the preferred extension over .co.uk. Sorry but that is pure B.S.

Show us the facts and take out all of the FREE .uk registrations and all of those done automatically by Registrars such as 123REG.

You may have fooled some people but the facts will come out..

I hear Meblourne IT will not even be in domain names within 2 years? Is this true?

A Dirty trick by Supply...
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2017/09/14
123-Reg customers outraged at automatic .UK domain registration
"
Customers of 123-Reg are experiencing a familiar feeling of annoyance, this time over a decision to automatically register them for .UK domains, which they will then have to pay for after two years. In a letter sent to customers, seen by The Register, the company said the domains will be available to manage from November 2017 …....."

"The .uk domain was launched by Nominet in 2014, but as one 123-Reg customer noted, it hasn’t performed well. "Very few in the industry other than Nominet and registrars wanted it," he said."

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I question the validity of some statements and claims made here:

I think it is a clear conflict of interest to have done this.

https://www.tppwholesale.com.au/blog/vote-yes-opening-au-direct-registrations/
https://www.netregistry.com.au/blog/vote-yes-to-opening-au-to-direct-registrations/

Brett this is also B.S. and you know it. Domainers are speaking out because only they know the facts ! We knew your blogs and Yes Only surveys where "rigged" to give only a Yes option and the template backs this up you provided.

Brett Fenton says

"The other area of resistance to the proposed change is from the 'domainer' community. Domainers buy domains purely to sell later at a profit, and monetise their domain portfolio through the traffic that arrives at the domain. You could say domainers have a vested interest in the discussion around opening up second level registrations as more choice in the marketplace could potentially make their existing .com.au domains less valuable."

Anyone who continues to register or renew any names with your company or associated companies in my opnion is crazy when this is your attitude... plus they are usually overpriced anyway compared to other registrars with a far better respect for their customers!

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members