What's new

20 Predictions For Domains 2013 [link]

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
While I don't entirely agree with some points like their social predictions (No. 17), it was an interesting read. Thanks for that. :)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
More urdp's ,,,,,, who would have guessed as people become aware to the value of a good name that can help their business

More startups is a given as others try to join in on published success stories

i think many people are over trying to be 'too social'

I agree youtube will continue to be more popular , after all with so much copyrighted material on it .....how could they fail

Some captain obvious statements in the list

Thanks for sharing

snoopy

Top Contributor
With all these predictions each year they are either,

-Things that have already happened,

eg 3D will still fail to reach critical mass in households, and 3D domains will suffer,

-Things that are completely obvious

eg The launch of new gTLDs will attract a new pool of domain investors.

-Or predictions that have no actual meaning or will never be proven/disproven by the author

eg Strength of quality domains will continue to increase despite decreasing type-ins.

and

Domain disputes (UDRP) as a means to bully domain owners off their prized possessions will continue to see growth in 2013

helloworld

Top Contributor
I thought "11. Hyphenated exact match domains will get dropped in huge numbers." was an interesting point. I don't think they will get dropped in huge numbers there is still plenty of room for marketing the domains at brand level.

What I think we will see a move towards tho is more traditional domain names that Google seem to be favouring at the moment. These are brand/industry.com.au at least for local. I see a move towards more webmaster type work which is really critical to all sites these days.

snoopy

Top Contributor
What I think we will see a move towards tho is more traditional domain names that Google seem to be favouring at the moment. These are brand/industry.com.au at least for local. I see a move towards more webmaster type work which is really critical to all sites these days.

Since when has Google favoured "brand" domains? We've gone from Google giving a boost to exact match domains to that be dialed down or removed and now some are saying they favour "brand" domains. Lets keep it real.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Since when has Google favoured "brand" domains? We've gone from Google giving a boost to exact match domains to that be dialed down or removed and now some are saying they favour "brand" domains. Lets keep it real.

That's my recent experience with it and it certainly doesn't mean every domain.

For example. Your brand is dog and your industry is security. The best domain would be dogsecurity.com.au

My opinion is that Google says Ok. So your Brand is Dog and your industry is Security. Your homepage is geared towards the most exact matches which is "security alarm systems" and although there are a bunch of factors. But ranking a site for "security alarm systems" is easier than ranking it for the same term on "securityalarmsystems.com.au". I'm basing this on a quick win, not a 2-5 year plan.

I've found different software will promote different sites. For example, loseweightfastdiet.com.au is wordpress. Admittedly content is pretty thin and it's still an unfinished project. However as I understand, It would have once ranked for its domain no problem. The only other page on the site I've developed is here http://loseweightfastdiet.com.au/celebrity-diets/watercress-soup-diet/ and it ranks 5th in PFA.

On the other hand another domain computerforums.com.au (low search) ranks well in google. I've done nothing more than install a forum, built a small amount of content and some users have found the site via google. It ranks very well for it's keyword. In saying that, the first example is high competition, the second is low.

Decent article here and Matt Cutts video from late alst year on choosing a domain is worth a watch as well. He pushes for brandable domains, but for more core client base (SME) in the middle is a btter option. In saying all this, I still see lots of value in EMDs.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/are-exact-match-domains-in-decline

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members