What's new

$100 compensation for Crazy Domains data loss

findtim

Top Contributor
Probably wouldn't normally make headlines, but it's Crazy Domains so..

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/tech...ata-leaving-small-businesses-the-victims.html

No backup and shared server has disaster written all over it. $100 credit seems about right to me.

so what would you charge p/a a SMB for a 10 page website to make sure this doesn't happen?

or if you don't do SMB's what do you think would be fair because i think you may be suggesting that they not be on a shared server and who would manage that for the dubbodentist who doesn't want to do anything but just be managed.

tim

James

Top Contributor
Copy the content across from Wayback > Wordpress might be able to save some content. But yeah hosted data files will probably be lost. PR postings are probably worth more to the company.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I'm not sure what CD charge, but upwards of $250 per annum is not unreasonable for arguably one of a SMEs most important assets.

But decent hosting is just as important as the right advice. You shouldn't lose much, if anything when a hosting account goes down..

nt81

Top Contributor
Those people were on a massively oversold shared hosting server.

Probably paying $1.99 per month for the privilege with no backups provided by GoDaddy. It would be impossible for most web hosts to offer hosting with backups at those prices.

In my opinion, if you're on a $2 per month server and it crashes without a backup on your part, you should have been doing more to protect yourself. Dubbo Dentist or not.

Those people were on a massively oversold shared hosting server.

Probably paying $1.99 per month for the privilege with no backups provided by GoDaddy. It would be impossible for most web hosts to offer hosting with backups at those prices.

In my opinion, if you're on a $2 per month server and it crashes without a backup on your part, you should have been doing more to protect yourself. Dubbo Dentist or not.

I agree with nt81. People pay $2 month and then cry when it goes bad. To top it off as this shared hosting is oversold, I hear regular complaints of sites and email being down. Pay peanuts get monkeys.

It is surprising how many people don't have back ups, rule 1, if you have a website you need to keep backups.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Backing up your sites is absolutely critical. I would never trust any provider to hold all the backups - I always run and download my own backups too.

It's crazy how many people lose everything, because they couldn't be bothered doing their own backups or because they placed far too much trust in their providers (or both).

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member