What's new

Reverse Domain Name Hijacking RDNH

DomainNames

Top Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_hijacking
Reverse domain name hijacking (also known as reverse cybersquatting), occurs where a trademark owner attempts to secure a domain name by making false cybersquatting claims against a domain name’s rightful owner.[1] This often intimidates domain name owners into transferring ownership of their domain names to trademark owners to avoid legal action, particularly when the domain names belong to smaller organizations or individuals.[2] Reverse domain name hijacking is most commonly perpetrated by larger corporations and famous individuals.[3]
WWW.RDNH.COM
http://www.hallofshame.com/rdnh-cases/

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Patricks Universal Export Pty Ltd http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/27/backpack-girl-makes-appearance-hilarious-udrp/
"Backpack Girl makes appearance in hilarious UDRP
This company thinks the eNom backpack girl looks similar to its CEO.

At what point does a cybersquatting complaint filed under UDRP become laugh-out-loud funny?

I think we have now have the answer, although the respondent in this case probably isn’t laughing.

An Australian hair care company called Patricks Universal Export Pty Ltd (Patricks) filed a UDRP against the owner of Patricks.com. The hair care company uses Patricks.com.au and was clearly looking to upgrade.

So it reached out to David Greenblatt, who registered Patricks.com in 1997. The complainant started operating under the name Patricks much later (this decade).

Greenblatt responded with a price that didn’t please Patricks Universal Export Pty, which filed a UDRP as “Plan B” for getting the domain name.

I’m going to copy these allegations directly from the UDRP decision, because they are really, really funny:

“The Domain Name has been parked since 2014 and may now be secretly for sale. It is “secret” in that one can only see this when clicking on the “privacy policy” at the bottom of the Website.”

“The original registration was in bad faith as the historical captures of the Website shows that the Respondent registered the Domain Name and all the other domain names to sell for commercial use and he now secretly tries to sell them.”

“In March 2016, the Complainant tried to contact the Respondent on the telephone number found on the WhoIs of the Domain Name at least 10 times a day at different times for over a week and no one answered the telephone. This is evidence that the Respondent was hiding some or all of his bad faith acts in this manner.”

“The Complainant managed to track him down to a phone number through public records on the Internet. The Respondent’s response to the Complainant’s request for the Domain Name was that he wanted USD 150,000 and equity in the Complainant for the Domain Name. This was bad faith as the Respondent did not claim any rights or legitimate interests in the Domain Name, the amount claimed was more than one thousand times the costs of the Respondent’s out-of-pocket costs to register and re-register the Domain Name and he was attempting to steal an ownership interest in the Complainant.”

“The Respondent has engaged in a pattern of conduct to register hundreds of domain names for the purpose of preventing the owners of trade marks and trade names from reflecting their trade mark in a corresponding domain name. These trade marks include “9to5”, “agentbooking”, “findcheapair”, “easy123dining”, “mqzm” and “Vqdv”.”

Was the complainant being serious? It’s so sad I might just cry.

But here’s where it gets really funny:

The Respondent’s posting on the Website of a photograph of a smiling girl with blonde shoulder length hair with a side parting fringe (the “Photograph”) between 2012 and 2014 is evidence of bad faith as it bears a striking resemblance to the Complainant’s CEO Aimee Kidd and this was the time when PATRICKS was becoming a global name. The use of the Photograph on the Website which was offering the Domain Name for commercial sale was to draw the Complainant’s attention to the Domain Name for the purpose of extracting lots of money for its sale. Further the use of the Photograph probably infringes a third party’s copyright which also supports a finding of bad faith.

Want to see the image the complainant is talking about?

Yep, backpack girl.

According to Patricks, the owner of the domain deliberately set up a page with an image similar to that of its CEO Aimee Kidd. The goal was ostensibly to attract Patricks’ attention and get it to buy the domain.

To be fair to the complainant, there is some resemblance here

Unsurprisingly, the three-person World Intellectual Property Organization panel found that Patricks, with the aid of its attorney Jason R. Buratti, engaged in reverse domain name hijacking:

This is one of the few cases in which a finding of abuse of the administrative proceeding is beyond obvious. While such a finding is always a matter of discretion, the Complainant’s empty rhetoric, mudslinging, and unsupported factual allegations require this Panel to impose the only sanction available to it."

I saw that article yesterday, absolutely disgraceful and a total abuse of process. We had a similar case recently with dashing.com.au
Domain Names I agree with your idea about having panels award costs, this would be an extra way to prevent an abuse of process.

I will be raising this issue with auDA, as RDNH has become more of an issue over the past couple years - many businesses take the view that if they cant buy it they will steal it. I had one client with an LL.com.au and a LLL.com.au who go hit twice within a couple of months, fortunately one panel made a RDNH finding, while the other panel didn't make the finding even though it was blatant.

Horshack

Top Contributor
it is embarrassing to the Complainant, and it is a public finding that they acted in bad faith (and that they engaged in an abuse of process), I personally wouldn't want such a finding against my business
It doesn't appear to be much of a deterrent to me. I think a $5000 fee for losing would be the best way to go or would that raise the minimum cost for a domain name to $5000 for an eligible holder to acquire the domain from a squatter because I have no doubt that some squatters use the $1500 cost of a complaint to price their domains.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Dare I ask! Having not needed to go through the process of defending with legal representation in the past, what legal costs would someone expect to need to pay to defend such an action.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Dare I ask! Having not needed to go through the process of defending with legal representation in the past, what legal costs would someone expect to need to pay to defend such an action.
Minimum $5000 legal fees usually plus $2250 if you want a 3 person panel!

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I saw that article yesterday, absolutely disgraceful and a total abuse of process. We had a similar case recently with dashing.com.au
Domain Names I agree with your idea about having panels award costs, this would be an extra way to prevent an abuse of process.

I will be raising this issue with auDA, as RDNH has become more of an issue over the past couple years - many businesses take the view that if they cant buy it they will steal it. I had one client with an LL.com.au and a LLL.com.au who go hit twice within a couple of months, fortunately one panel made a RDNH finding, while the other panel didn't make the finding even though it was blatant.
Please do raise it with auDA now and let's see something done ASAP including some training for panelists if required so they are not only aware of it but they make correct rulings and enforce fines.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
It doesn't appear to be much of a deterrent to me. I think a $5000 fee for losing would be the best way to go or would that raise the minimum cost for a domain name to $5000 for an eligible holder to acquire the domain from a squatter because I have no doubt that some squatters use the $1500 cost of a complaint to price their domains.
Please read the RDNH definition again and understand it is not about "squatters". This is what the reverse domain name hijackers are trying to claim which is proven to be false.

The GUILTY party is the RDNH complainants who most often have far larger legal resources and budgets to scare and bully the rightful owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_hijacking
Reverse domain name hijacking (also known as reverse cybersquatting), occurs where a trademark owner attempts to secure a domain name by making false cybersquatting claims against a domain name’s rightful owner.[1] This often intimidates domain name owners into transferring ownership of their domain names to trademark owners to avoid legal action, particularly when the domain names belong to smaller organizations or individuals.[2] Reverse domain name hijacking is most commonly perpetrated by larger corporations and famous individuals.[3]
WWW.RDNH.COM
http://www.hallofshame.com/rdnh-cases/

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Update http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/28/lawyer-fell-domaingang-story-enom-backpack-girl/
http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/27/backpack-girl-makes-appearance-hilarious-udrp/#comment-2239511
" Lawyer fell for DomainGang story about eNom Backpack Girl
More UDRP hilarity.
Yesterday, I wrote about how an Australian company argued in a UDRP that the famous Backpack Girl was planted by the owner of Patricks.com because the complainant’s (a company called Patricks) CEO looked like Backpack Girl.
It was hilarious.
It gets even funnier.
Once the respondent’s attorney John Berryhill explained in the response that this stock photo was the default on hundreds of thousands (millions?) of parked pages, the complainant’s lawyer Jason R. Buratti wouldn’t let it go.

Instead, he did some research and made a stunning find: that the blonde Backpack Girl that looks a lot like Patricks CEO had been retired on parked pages at the time in question. So the respondent must have been targeting Patricks’ CEO!

Why did Buratti think this? He came across a satirical article on DomainGang saying that the original Backpack Girl was being replaced with a Hispanic woman.
In a supplemental filing (that wasn’t considered by the panel), Buratti wrote:
For all its history, the Response failed to inform us that “backpack girl” was decommissioned in 2012, when the “typically Hispanic” look of Jaunita Rodriguez (depicted in the margin) replaced Ms. Stellar. ((reference to DomainGang joke article omitted)). Surely, “backpack girl” Ms. Rodriguez does not look like Aimee; “backpack girl” Ms. Stellar does. See Complaint at 7 (showing Aimee’s 2012 picture). The disputed domain continued to display “backpack girl” Ms. Stellar but not Ms. Rodriguez (see, e.g., Annex 22 from July 5, 2013) – a domain Respondent does not even argue (nevermind prove) was actually parked during this time and did not select this image of Ms. Stellar (though his lawyer argues it is parked today). Once again, only one inference is supported by the facts: Respondent controlled the domain in around and after 2012, published Aimee’s likeness there, and targeted Complainant.

Oh man, we’ve got ourselves a Domain Dunce award winner here for sure."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Another one for Australia complainant http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/29/company-guilty-reverse-domain-hijacking-refiling-case/
"Company guilty of reverse domain hijacking after refiling case
Domain owner forced to defend himself twice despite unchanged facts.

A company that sells an organic fertilizer has been found guilty of reverse domain name hijacking after filing a UDRP for the second time.

GBI Prosperities Pty Ltd. and Dr Grow It All Sales Pty Ltd. filed the UDRP against the owner of doctorgrowitall.com and drgrowitall.com. The domains are registered by a former business associate.

One of the complainant’s principals, Danny Hood, filed a UDRP over DrGrowItAll.com in 2013. He represented himself, and the panelist in that case noted that Hood really phoned it in. The panelist said the complaint “barely” met the qualifications of a UDRP filing.

The complainants said there were a few reasons it should be able to refile the case. One is that the second domain was added. Another is that it wasn’t represented by counsel the first time and that its initial case was so poorly presented it should have been rejected as an invalid case. The third is that the complainants are different because the first time it was an individual and now it’s a company.

The facts of the case did not change between the two filings.

Panelist Warwick A. Rothnie noted that the respondent had to defend himself twice thanks to the refiled complaint, and found the complainant to have filed the dispute in bad faith.

This case might make for a new type of RDNH category at RDNH.com — refiling cases."

DomainNames

Top Contributor
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2016-0879
"The Complainants are GBI Prosperities Pty Ltd. (the “First Complainant”) and Dr Grow It All Sales Pty Ltd. (the “Second Complainant”) of Eumundi, Queensland, Australia, represented by Rouse Lawyers, Australia.

The Respondent is Private Registration of Sydney South, New South Wales, Australia / Dave Lovegrove, Real Estate Educational Programmes of Noosaville, Queensland, Australia, represented by Steven Rinehart, United States of America (“United States”).

In these circumstances, the Panel considers it appropriate to accede to the Respondent’s claim for a finding that the Complainants have engaged in reverse domain name hijacking.

6. Decision
For the foregoing reasons, the Complaint is denied.

Warwick A. Rothnie
Sole Panelist
Date: June 23, 2016"

DomainNames

Top Contributor
What is RDNH? What is Reverse Domain Name Hijacking? Reverse Domain Name Hijacking (RDNH) is a finding that a UDRP panel can make if it determines that the complaint was brought in bad faith.

It is described in section 15(e) of the Rules for Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy:

If after considering the submissions the Panel finds that the complaint was brought in bad faith, for example in an attempt at Reverse Domain Name Hijacking or was brought primarily to harass the domain-name holder, the Panel shall declare in its decision that the complaint was brought in bad faith and constitutes an abuse of the administrative proceeding.

UDRP panels have cited various factors when making a determination of RDNH. These include:
  • The Disputed Domain was registered prior to any trademark use by the Complainant;
  • The Complaint failed to provide any evidence that the Respondent was specifically targeting the Complainant in its registration and use of the Disputed Domain;
  • The Complainant should have been aware that the Respondent had a legitimate right to the Disputed Domain;
  • The Complaint is used as a Plan “B” option to acquire a domain after commercial negotiations have failed;
  • The Complainant attempted to deceive the Respondent in communications that preceded the filing of the Complaint;
  • The Complainant attempts to misrepresent material facts to the panel, or fails to disclose material facts.
Ironically, if a Complainant is successful in winning a decision to transfer to it a Disputed Domain in a UDRP, this can create a cause of action under the federal Anti-Cyber Squatting Protection Act (“ACPA”):

Trademark owners should be mindful that UDRP proceedings are not without their potential downsides, especially when a legitimate business (or, at least, an entity with the appearance of a legitimate business) is on the other side of a claim. It is also worthwhile to assess whether to proceed under the UDRP or the ACPA. UDRP proceedings are cheaper and faster, but difficult cases under the UDRP could, as they did here, lead to reverse domain name hijacking claims under the ACPA, snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.
Source: Pattishall IP Blog
The relevant provision in the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. §1114(2)(D)(v) (“ACPA”) is,

A domain name registrant whose domain name has been suspended, disabled, or transferred under a policy described under clause (ii)(II) [the UDRP is such a Policy] may, upon notice to the mark owner, file a civil action to establish that the registration or use of the domain name by such registrant is not unlawful under this Act. The court may grant injunctive relief to the domain name registrant, including the reactivation of the domain name or transfer of the domain name to the domain name registrant.

Domain owners have successfully won damage awards in federal lawsuits under the ACPA in which the domain owner claimed that it was the victim of reverse domain name hijacking. For example, the City of Paris was ordered to pay $100,000 as a result of a RDNH finding for parvi.org, and GoForIt Entertainment was ordered to pay $100,000 as a result of its RDNH attempt against Scott Day’s Digimedia.com LP.

The owner of the MyArt.com domain name lost a UDRP on the domain. The domain owner then filed suit in Federal Court under the ACPA claiming that the UDRP Complaint was Reverse Domain Name Hijacking. The domain owner succeeding in obtaining an offer of judgment and monetary damages. Articles at ILAWCO.com and TheDomains.com.

A finding of Reverse Domain Name Hijacking may also be the basis for bringing a cause of action at the US Patent and Trademark Office to cancel the trademark rights of the company that is asserting rights to the disputed domain under a provision that states that trademark rights may be cancelled if they are misused.

DomainNames

Top Contributor

Please raise this to the auDA Board and assist with it's implementation. It may be an idea to make it $10,000 AUD in light of Australian legal fees and costs for a 3 person panel the respondent is forced to incur.

Proper training for panelists on RNDH is also is needed and panelists should be tested to check they do have the relevant RDNH case law knowledge and experience. If they do not know about RDNH or recent case law they should not be panelists for Australian domain name disputes.
https://cira.ca/cira-domain-name-dispute-resolution-policy
https://cira.ca/sites/default/files/public/policy/cdrppolicy_-_en.pdf
4.6 Bad Faith of Complainant. If the Registrant is successful, and the Registrant proves, on a balance of probabilities, that the Complaint was commenced by the Complainant for the purpose of attempting, unfairly and without colour of right, to cancel or obtain a transfer of any Registration which is the subject of the Proceeding, then the Panel may order the Complainant to pay to the Provider in trust for the Registrant an amount of up to five thousand dollars ($5000) to defray the costs incurred by the Registrant in preparing for, and filing material in the Proceeding. The Complainant will be ineligible to file another Complaint in respect of any Registration with any Provider until the amount owing is paid in full to the Provider.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member